ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
Peter1011
สมาชิกสมาคมนักลงทุนเน้นคุณค่า
โพสต์: 325
ผู้ติดตาม: 109

Sea Change: Value Investing

โพสต์ที่ 1

โพสต์

รบกวนช่วยอ่านจนไปถึงบรรทัดสุดท้ายก่อนแสดงความเห็นครับ ผมเขียนบทความนี้ขึ้นมาจากประสบการณ์ล้วนๆ ซึ่งมันก็เป็นไปได้ว่าบทความนี้อาจไม่ถูกต้อง ผมจึงต้องพึ่งทุกๆท่านที่นี่ เพื่อที่จะถกประเด็นเกี่ยวกับการเปลี่ยนแปลงของการลงทุนแบบเน้นคุณค่า และผมขอโทษที่ใช้ภาษาอังกฤษ เนื่องจากผมเอาไป post บน reddit ก่อน

ผมเชื่อว่าตอนนี้การลงทุนแบบเน้นคุณค่ากำลังเปลี่ยนไป ไม่รู้ว่าไปในทางที่ดีขึ้นหรือแย่ลง ผมจะทิ้งให้ลองคิดดู มีไอเดียหรือข้อโต้แย้งอะไรก็เขียนมาได้ครับ

As many of you may know, the Value Investing concept was undergone three transformation (or "Sea Change") before:

(1) From 1920's to 1950's: Graham and his Cigar-butts/Net-Nets/Quantitative method and Templeton and his "buy anything less than $1" tactic.

(2) From 1950's to 1990's: Buffett and Munger had improved Graham method to involve qualitative factors as well as the concept of Fisher's scuttlebutt was introduced. This is when Graham's method yields lower (I can't conclude that the reason behind this is due to more and more investors have followed Graham's method).

This era was coincided with enormous increase in global population leading to higher demand, higher productivity and economic expansion, and so the good impact on stock market especially the US. More and more investment books were published and investors are getting more and more interested.

I read many books from this era and can gather you some examples here, mostly from famous quotes:

(i) reading annual reports and check valuation (using P/E P/B and earning growth calculation) to ensure that you know what you own -> if you read annual report, you are ahead of 9x% of wall street
(ii) scuttlebutt: do some site visit (not just at the HQ but at shops as well)
(iii) Greenblatt's Magic Formula
(iv) Lynch's "buy stocks that have products you used"
(v) Munger's "buy great company at fair price"
etc.

(3) From 1990's onwards: The age of internet, this changed the way how you do research as there is literally "no barrier of entry" to receive information, you can get most information just by googling it and most importantly "it's not just you, it's also everyone".

There were countless amount of information regarding Value Investing available on the internet that allows an average person to understand it within "few minutes" and makes many people think that Value Investing is easy. Books are also popular but there are discussion boards (like reddit, where I'm currently writing this), websites (seekingAlpha, gurufocus, medium, substack, value investing club, and countless websites where non-institution investors write/share/steal their ideas), facebook pages, and much more.

Secrets are no longer secrets and many people start telling these to others and information spread very quickly over the internet. Example of this would be an information on special situation of certain stocks spreading quickly over twitter. Even the institutional investors could not take this opportunities due to small size, there will be smaller investment firm/hedge funds (like those with name that ends with "... Partners Inc." or "... Capital Inc.") who comes and take this opportunity immediately.

Well, I forgot to include the institutional analyst papers like Bernstein, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Morningstar Moat rating, etc. Now, I would rather say that the information is at an "inflated" or a "bubble" level.

AI software like OpenAI or ChatGPT can also help summarises key important data and information from different investment opportunities, which make it easier for novice investment to understand the content in no time.

What I said in (2) are rendered useless:

(i) everybody reads it and most go beyond it (reading industry papers, social listening, product analysis, competitors analysis, and so on...) which I believes called "Deep Dives" articles which are very insightful. Nowadays, it's probably -> if you read annual report, you are still behind of 9x% of wall street
(ii) most investor are doing scuttlebutt, there's no point of doing it as most already have insights before you
(iii) most investor are using it before you do
(iv) most investor are doing it before you do
(v) there are very few great company at great or fair price (which stayed at those prices for few days - more on this later)

There's also programming involved in investing process where data scraping and machine learning are used. Python programming are widely used in data collecting and analysing as it is fast and easy to learn. But now more and more websites have robot tracker and won't allow API scraping again but instead direct you to buy their API service.

I think there are several AI listening to Fed's Powell speech word-by-word and analyse stock market sentiment in real time then do all the trading in stock market automatically.

On to talking about investment services, I can see that there are several services ranging from database like Bloomberg Terminal to Tegus that do something about expert calling. Most Deep Dives articles are available behind paywall. These services cost tonnes of money and may erode your yearly return (or management fee) and others may have already learned about it faster than you so think carefully before buying them.

Now the pricing, the core of Value Investing.

When I searched for stocks I found that most of them, especially great companies, are overvalued. My term of "overvalued" means the stock price (that I bought) couldn't justified level of cash flows to ensure certain discount rate (this is treated as rate of return) which further implies the price is too high.

I, as for many, understand that patience forms part of Value Investing but in most of today situation waiting until a stock price is corrected is useless as the valuation will change as well, because of worsening underlying fundamentals, making a stock remains overvalued. There are less and less great companies at fair price.

On the other hand, in the case of many growth stocks, the price shoots up to the level that is overvalued very fast within short time making investors who are slow unable to make a reasonable return whether it is short or long term. These growth stocks are often a disruptor to old economy stocks making them less profitable year by year and send their share price down. Investors who are either slow or less insightful will loss money and when switched to those growth stocks, won't get any superior return than the market as the price is overvalued.

I saw these characteristics in many countries like Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, etc. as I'm unable to find great company at fair price. These countries shared the same characteristic of ageing population, which could affect demand especially in the consumer sector. These countries were once at growing stage full with great companies with growth potential at a fair price. But now it's different.

I won't even bother to look at the US market as most investors there are highly competitive chasing every undervalued stocks.

In terms of market participants.

I won't talk about this very long as I have said in my previous posts (ages ago). In simple words, there are new investors flock into the stock market back in 2020-21 chasing towards limited resources of growth stocks. Some have high hopes of being rich like those who went in before them just by using simple methods like those written on books by legendary investors. Even time passes, these people won't back down, so I guess that market will be saturated like this, at least for a long time.

In summary, I expect incoming of the fourth Sea Change of Value Investing which is caused by more intelligent tools available to investors, overvalued stocks, fewer market opportunities, smarter and more intelligent investors, and overcrowding. This change, if coincide with the end of current economic cycle (from the end of WWII), would have tremendous impact on our investment community.
Was der Onkel Charlie sagt, das soll man immer tun!
drget
โพสต์: 74
ผู้ติดตาม: 17

Re: Sea Change: Value Investing

โพสต์ที่ 2

โพสต์

ขอบคุณมากครับ อ่านหมดแล้วครับ เห็นด้วยครับ
ส่วนตัวคิดว่า Value investing

1.Still Alive ทำเงินยากกว่าเดิม แต่ยังทำได้
- ต้องดู new gen หลายคนทำได้ แต่ old gen หลายคนไม่สู้แล้วครับ
- ระดับตำนานพันล้านถือเป็น basic ฟังครั้งเดียวพอ new vi ระดับ 10-100 ล้าน follow พวกนี้ครับ จะ growth อีกเยอะครับ
- ต้อง Adaptive ศาสตร์ต่างๆ social media, จิตวิทยา, technical รู้ว่าพวกนี้ทำอะไร และเห็นช่องว่าง ให้เข้าไปเช็คบิลครับ

2.Wait and See ยังคงใช้ได้เสมอ
-โดย Opportunity ยังมีปริมาณเท่าเดิม แต่มัน short and fast กว่าอดีต
-และใน 1 opp หุ้นที่จะทำเงินมันน้อยลง แต่ยังมีครับ

กำไร 100% ยังมีอีกพอสมควร แต่มันต้องมีศาสตร์หลายๆ อย่าง เพิ่มเติมเข้าไปครับ
- ยกตัวอย่าง มี semi old gen vi เก่งมากในอดีต ถือหุ้นดีมากจะเติบโต 3 เท่า เราก็เห็น แต่คุณเล่นถือ 300 ล้าน อย่างนี้
เราไม่เอา เพราะเจ้าของบริษัทเห็น และรู้ว่าคุณฉลาด แต่ไม่เฉลียว และเป็นไปตามคาด พี่แกขายกิจการอย่างเดียว
เห็นแล้วจะเป็นลม พอคุณขายหุ้นหมด เขาก็ไปซื้อกิจการใหม่เพื่อสร้างกำไร จบข่าว

สรุป เป็นเรื่องปกติที่จะมีคนรวยร้อยล้าน 1 ใน 100 คน มันก็ยากเป็นเรื่องปกติ แต่ก็ทำได้ครับ
ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
ส.สลึง
โพสต์: 3779
ผู้ติดตาม: 75

โพสต์ที่ 3

โพสต์

ส่วนตัวคิดว่า...
สถานการณ์เปลี่ยน ยุทธศาสตร์เปลี่ยน ยุทธวิธีเปลี่ยน
แต่แก่นเดิมครับ
"วิถีรักษ์โลก บ้าน 1 หลัง รถ 1 คัน สาว 1 คน กางเกงใน 1 ตัว" <⁠(⁠ ̄⁠︶⁠ ̄⁠)⁠> ...
ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
Peter1011
โพสต์: 325
ผู้ติดตาม: 109

โพสต์ที่ 4

โพสต์

ขอ discuss ตามนี้ครับ
drget เขียน:
อังคาร ม.ค. 09, 2024 11:08 am
new vi ระดับ 10-100 ล้าน follow พวกนี้ครับ จะ growth อีกเยอะครับ
คนกลุ่มนี้ลักษณะเป็นยังไงครับ? ผมอาจจะมีประสบการณ์ที่ไม่ค่อยดีกับคนกลุ่มนี้เนื่องจากผมเห็นหลายคนไปเกี่ยวข้องกับ pump and dump schemes (ถ้าเป็นคนไทย ต่างชาติผมไม่เคยตาม)
drget เขียน:
ต้อง Adaptive ศาสตร์ต่างๆ social media, จิตวิทยา, technical รู้ว่าพวกนี้ทำอะไร
social media เป็น free speech คนจะพูดอะไรก็ได้ ถ้าไม่คัดกรองก็จะเจอเนื้อหาที่เป็นกาวหรือขยะได้ ถ้าจะเชื่อต้องไปสืบเอาเองว่าสิ่งที่คนนั้นพูดถึงมันจริงแค่ไหน สำหรับ technical ผมไม่ทราบว่ามันไปเกี่ยวกับ value investing ยังไงครับ มันเป็นสิ่งที่ต่างกันโดยสิ้นเชิง
drget เขียน:
โดย Opportunity ยังมีปริมาณเท่าเดิม แต่มัน short and fast กว่าอดีต และใน 1 opp หุ้นที่จะทำเงินมันน้อยลง แต่ยังมีครับ
ผมว่า opportunity มันน้อยลงนะครับ แต่ใช่ครับมัน short and fast กว่าอดีต

สำหรับโพสท์ reddit นี้ มีบางอย่างที่ผมมีการใส่สีไปมากเพื่อที่จะ trigger ให้มีคนเถียงกลับ เพื่อที่จะได้เกิดมุมมองที่มากขึ้นจากการเขียนคุยกัน ในทางกลับกันผมได้แอบยกเว้นเอาข้อมูลบางอย่างที่ผมรู้ว่ามันจะเป็น good contradiction ต่อโพสท์นี้ออกไปด้วย แต่ดูเหมือนว่าหลายๆคนบน reddit ไม่ค่อยจะเถียงแบบ firmly และส่วนใหญ่จะค่อนไปทางด้านเห็นด้วย ด้วยซำ้

ที่จริงผมลงท้ายบทความนี้ด้วย "May god help us all and I hope I am wrong this time" แต่ผมตัดออกไปเพราะผมไม่เชื่อในพระเจ้า
Was der Onkel Charlie sagt, das soll man immer tun!
ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
Linzhi
สมาชิกกิตติมศักดิ์
โพสต์: 1526
ผู้ติดตาม: 225

โพสต์ที่ 5

โพสต์

พี่มาอ่านและ เห็นด้วยนะครับ

ถึงจะยากกว่าเดิม แต่สิ่งที่ทำได้ คือต้องชดเชยด้วย

1. รอนานขึ้นใช้เวลามากกว่าเดิม จาก 10 ปี เป็น 20-30 ปี

2. หาเงินและอดออมเพื่อให้เงินต้นมากกว่าเดิม

3. ใช้ความพยายามมากกว่าเดิม

4. ใช้กลยุทธ์ที่ดีกว่าเดิม (พี่เห็นด้วยว่าบางวิธีไม่เวิร์ตแล้ว แต่วีไอเป็นแก่น ไม่ใช่วิธีครับ)

ทำได้ตามนี้ก็น่าจะสำเร็จได้อยู่ดีครับ

โชคก็ต้องมีด้วย แต่พี่ก็ยังเชื่อว่า

เพราะแสวงหา มิใช่เพราะรอคอย

เพราะเชี่ยวชาญ มิใช่เพราะโอกาส

เพราะสามารถ มิใช่เพราะโชคช่วย

เช่นนี้แล้ว “ลิขิตฟ้าหรือจะสู้มานะตน”
ก้าวช้า ๆ และเชื่อในปาฎิหารย์ของหุ้นเปลี่ยนชีวิต
There is no secret ingredient. It's just you.
drget
โพสต์: 74
ผู้ติดตาม: 17

โพสต์ที่ 6

โพสต์

Peter1011 เขียน:
ศุกร์ ม.ค. 12, 2024 4:10 pm
ขอ discuss ตามนี้ครับ

คนกลุ่มนี้ลักษณะเป็นยังไงครับ? ผมอาจจะมีประสบการณ์ที่ไม่ค่อยดีกับคนกลุ่มนี้เนื่องจากผมเห็นหลายคนไปเกี่ยวข้องกับ pump and dump schemes (ถ้าเป็นคนไทย ต่างชาติผมไม่เคยตาม)

social media เป็น free speech คนจะพูดอะไรก็ได้ ถ้าไม่คัดกรองก็จะเจอเนื้อหาที่เป็นกาวหรือขยะได้ ถ้าจะเชื่อต้องไปสืบเอาเองว่าสิ่งที่คนนั้นพูดถึงมันจริงแค่ไหน สำหรับ technical ผมไม่ทราบว่ามันไปเกี่ยวกับ value investing ยังไงครับ มันเป็นสิ่งที่ต่างกันโดยสิ้นเชิง

ผมว่า opportunity มันน้อยลงนะครับ แต่ใช่ครับมัน short and fast กว่าอดีต

สำหรับโพสท์ reddit นี้ มีบางอย่างที่ผมมีการใส่สีไปมากเพื่อที่จะ trigger ให้มีคนเถียงกลับ เพื่อที่จะได้เกิดมุมมองที่มากขึ้นจากการเขียนคุยกัน ในทางกลับกันผมได้แอบยกเว้นเอาข้อมูลบางอย่างที่ผมรู้ว่ามันจะเป็น good contradiction ต่อโพสท์นี้ออกไปด้วย แต่ดูเหมือนว่าหลายๆคนบน reddit ไม่ค่อยจะเถียงแบบ firmly และส่วนใหญ่จะค่อนไปทางด้านเห็นด้วย ด้วยซำ้

ที่จริงผมลงท้ายบทความนี้ด้วย "May god help us all and I hope I am wrong this time" แต่ผมตัดออกไปเพราะผมไม่เชื่อในพระเจ้า
ขอโทษด้วยครับ พอดีขี้เกียจพิมพ์ มันยาว นึกขึ้นได้มีโปรแกรมใช้ปากพิมพ์ จึงรายงานมาให้ทราบครับ

1.คนกลุ่มนี้มีพอร์ต 10ถึงร้อยล้าน
- ทำกำไรได้สูง
- ชอบโชตามโซเชียล
- อายุ20กว่าๆ ไม่เกิน40
- พวกปั่นหุ้น ไม่ใช่วีไอ ไม่ต้องฟอลโลครับ

2. โซเชียลมีเดีย
- คนมีวัตถุประสงค์ จึงพูดตามวัตถุประสงค์นั้น เราต้องอ่านคนให้ออก มองให้เห็นถึงกำพืดเขาครับ เช่น หุ้นอันเดอร์แวลู ไม่ออกมาพูด เพราะ เก็บของอยู่ พอหุ้น โอเวอร์แวลู ออกมาพูด เราไม่ได้สนใจเนื้อหา เรามองที่วัตถุประสงค์ ว่าต้องการเชียร์ เราขายครับ
- เทคนิคคอล ถ้า ว่าตามตำรา มันตรงข้ามกับวีไอ แต่ถ้า เป็นวีไอ ยุคนี้ ไม่ใช่ยุคเก่า เทคนิคอล เกี่ยวข้องกับวีไอมากๆ เพราะปัจจุบัน นักลงทุน ส่วนใหญ่หลายแสนคน เล่นเทคนิคคอลกัน เปิดสอนกันบาน เล่นแล้วมันส์กึ่งการพนัน ซึ่งก็คือตลาดนั่นเอง
วีไอรุ่นใหม่ มีเทคนิคคอล เป็นออปชั่นเสริม เมื่อเทคนิค บอกว่ากำลังขึ้น เบรกไฮ แมงเม่าแห่กันเข้า วีไอรุ่นเก่า เห็นโอเวอร์แวลู ก็ขายทันที วีไอรุ่นใหม่ นั่งกระดิกตีน รอมันขึ้นไปในอวกาศ แล้วค่อยๆ รินขาย ได้อีกหลายเปอร์เซ็นต์ครับ ขออภัยใช้คำไม่สุภาพ แบบ ดรนิเวศน์555

3. โอกาสยังมีปริมาณมากเหมือนเดิมครับ
- ภาพรวม 10ปี ก็ยังมีวิกฤติอยู่ ล่าสุดก็โควิด
- ในระหว่างปี มีหุ้น ที่ราคาขึ้นๆ ไปเกินร้อยเปอร์เซ็นต์ และมีพื้นฐาน ปีนึงเป็นร้อยตัวครับ
- ระหว่างเดือน ก็ยังมีไอพีโอ เข้ามามากกว่าสมัยก่อน ล่าสุด ยังได้กันหลายเด้ง นายกวีไอ ก็โพสต์โชว์อยู่ครับ ว่าเป็นโคตรซูเปอร์สต็อก555
- ระหว่างวัน ก็มีเรื่องตกใจเข้ามาทุกวัน พูดอันเดอร์แวร์ลู คนแห่เข้าไปเก็บกันเพียบ ผ่านไปวันเดียว ขายกิจการบางส่วนออก แวลลูเพิ่มขึ้น ราคาหุ้นเพิ่มขึ้น คนขายทิ้ง กำไรวันเดียว 20% คิดเป็นปี ไม่รู้กี่แสนเปอร์เซ็นต์ครับ
เพียงแต่ว่ามันสั้น และเร็วมาก ต้องคนรุ่นใหม่ ถึงจะสอยพวกนี้ทันครับ

อันนี้ขอตอบแบบคร่าวๆ ไม่ได้ละเอียด เป็นแบบวิทยานิพนธ์นะครับ ขำๆกันครับ
โพสต์โพสต์