Image&Word
Verified User
โพสต์: 82
ผู้ติดตาม: 0

Nature of Business

โพสต์ที่ 1

โพสต์

All,

I'm new Value Inverstor and I'm studing about the financial statement analysis of business. It's quite clear to understand any ratio.
But the one topic that difficult to understand or guess that The nature of Business such as Bank, Petro, Energy.... For more accuracy and prevent the lost, we should know nature or cycle of business.

How are you study the nature of business?
Please explain, suggestion or share your experiences.

Thanks so much.
Nothing Impossible
Just Image and Do it.
Image&Words
MarginofSafety
Verified User
โพสต์: 5786
ผู้ติดตาม: 2

Re: Nature of Business

โพสต์ที่ 2

โพสต์

But the one topic that difficult to understand or guess that The nature of Business such as Bank, Petro, Energy
How are you study the nature of business?
Please explain, suggestion or share your experiences.
Thanks so much.
I would like to share some examples about nature of business in general :

- For banking, normally the bank's profit will depend on the economy as a whole. Therefore, if you consider the economy will become better and better you may consider to invest in banking sector. Vice versa, if the economy will become bad you should avoid to invest in banking sector.

- For enegy sector, we may consider the stocks in this sector as defensive stock and the price of defensive stock will not react much if the stock market went down. For example, electrical plant and oil company. In additional, the profit of oil company will depend significantly on oil price.

- For Petro, we may consider as cyclical stock. The profit of the company will depend heavily on matching demand and supply. For example, at past 2 years China economy was boom and increased demand of petrochemical product. At the same time if you look at the stock price of petro company. You will see that it went up dramatically. We may consider the company that provide shipping service like PSL, RCL, TTA in the same manner. Currently the trend of the world economy seems to be slow down. Therefore, the demand of those services are lesser and cause the lower earning of companies in this sector. If you look at stock price, you will see that  it seems to decrease everyday. But someone may consider like the market has reacted too much now and may consider to buy.

In conclusion, I would say that you need to understand the nature of any businesses that you want to invest before making decision.
And the ability to forecast what will happen in the future is one of the key factors of successful investors.
For VI, we won't invest in the companies that we don't understand the nature of business.
"Winners never quit, and quitters never win."
ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
apichai214
สมาชิกสมาคมนักลงทุนเน้นคุณค่า
โพสต์: 207
ผู้ติดตาม: 0

Nature of Business

โพสต์ที่ 3

โพสต์

[quote].....quote]

ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
apichai214